Years ago, I provided career counseling to a woman who was completing her training to be a respiratory therapist. Only during her internship in her last semester, did she realize that she became nauseous at the sight of sinus or bronchial mucous. Had she obtained some volunteer experience before starting her program, she would have learned this much sooner. Here are great ways to find out if you will actually like a career.
- Job shadowing – Follow a person doing their job for a day.
- Virtual job shadowing – This is a good precursor to actual job shadowing.
- Internships – A short-term internship may turn into a long-term job.
- Volunteer Experience – Find a volunteer opportunity that interests you.
- College Courses – especially those with a hands-on focus